Saturday, July 19, 2008

Noche sobre la ciudad.

Tonight I went downtown with Yamila. She had to perform with the trio and I wanted to walk and meet new people. Parking in downtown is very hard to find. Yamila got tired of looking for parking at parked the car on this steep hill. I promise that I thought the car would roll down the hill and crush everything in its path. When I am sitting people watching; people seemed surprised to see me. I am beginning to wonder if I am just too beautiful or have they never seen a black person. Anyway from the stares I feel like a local celebrity. Tonight a little girl wanted to take a picture with me, which was kinda of funny and sweet. Naturally I obliged I am going to enjoy my 11 days of celebrity hood.(is that even a word?) Today I finally got to see a native tradition. There is a pole that is 200 feet off of the ground and there are 4 men that spin off of the pole and chant and play a whistle like instrument. This ritual initially was done to celebrate the harvest. Very interesting and there is no way I could be paid enough to spin down the pole. As usual, I had un elote y un helado (corn on the cob and ice cream, I am so addicted to both) The funny part is that I have not gained an ounce since I have been here and I have been eating and drinking way more here then I do at home. Maybe it is the heat and all the walking.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's been cool reading up on your adventure. I'm very envious and would love to do the same! It must have awesome! That lucky little girl...getting her pic takin with a black celebrity!! That was too funny! Looks like you had a blast. Congratulations -Shaun Rice

Anonymous said...

Seems like you are having a wonderful time. I love and miss you. -Dad